Sunday, February 22, 2009

Cover Letter

Do you agree with all of the advice given here?
I agree with most of the advice given on this website. However, our guest speaker that came to our class on Friday placed a greater emphasis on the cover letter than this website does. He emphasized the importance of "selling yourself" in the cover letter. This website emphasizes focusing more on the company - and that your resume should be the area where you "sell yourself."
Are the points with which you disagree?
One suggestion on the website was to include a "post-script" on the cover letter that adds an additional accomplishment at the end. It even suggests handwriting it at the bottom. I am unsure at the effectiveness of this technique. I feel that adding a "p.s." would look unprofessional and not flow well with the rest of the structured letter.
Which section of this tutorial is the most useful to you?
The most useful section for me was the mock cover letter link and the cover letter checklist. It is always beneficial for me to see an actual example of what the website is discussing. I also always like to work from a checklist, so that I can make a quick run-through to ensure I've included all of the necessary (and important) aspects of the letter.
Is there anything of which you were not aware that you plan to use when you write your cover letter for your mock interview in this class?
When I write my mock cover letter, I am going to incorporate the structure of three focused paragraphs. I like this set-up and I feel that it will force me to remain focused on my purpose and remain concise in the letter.

No comments:

Post a Comment